Monday, December 10, 2012

Strep Throat and the Art of Self Care

This past weekend was supposed to have been a whirlwind of family fun in New York City. We were invited to attend a work related event offered by my husbands place of employment  to enjoy a lovely two room suite atop the 40th floor of the "W' hotel overlooking all the non stop action of Times Square. We were to be wined and dined at several exquisite NYC restaurants and treated to a VIP ticketed experience to see the ever popular stage production of "Wicked" and to meet the entire cast. We also decided, at our own expense, to add on a show at Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockettes perform their non stop sparkle Christmas show. It was a weekend that we all had been anticipating, most of all my son, who we took to NYC for the first time this summer and he fell under its spell quite quickly. He could not wait to return!

I awoke the Friday morning we were to leave with a fever, chills, aches in every nook and cranny of my body, and a throat that was so swollen I could barely swallow  glass of water. It came on with little to no fanfare. Over the past week or so I had been feeling exceptionally tired, but chalked that up to the frenzied pace of prepping the home for the holidays and purchasing all our NYC holiday finery. So, I was quite surprised to discover my body was in no way, shape or form able to even think about the trip any longer. All it simply wanted to do was lay down and stay there comatose not moving for as long as it took to recover.

My husband and son went on their own, at my urging, since to stay behind and miss all the fun because I was ill was not necessary. I also told my husband to invite my sister to meet up with them at some point. She lives very close to the city and would probably love to spend time with Ty having some Xmas fun as well.

I made a doctors appointment for that afternoon at the only available time they had left, 2:45 PM and truly hoped that I had something that would require some good, strong medicine to do battle with my body! The doctors office was packed with lots of other sick people so it took me close to 45 minutes to see him. The throat was swabbed and the diagnosis was swift: Strep. I started to cry. As much from the high fever that was steadily rising as I sat waiting for the doctor to enter my room, and because I was just so very sick. I wiped my eyes, thanked the doctor and left. I could not wait to get my prescription filled, get home, get in my pajamas and simply be sick.

It was a weekend filled with emotion for all of us. My husband was sad to not have me along, as was my son and yet they both were excited to head to NYC for their holiday adventure, as they should. I was feeling so sick and nauseous that I was looking forward to having the house all to myself to lick my wounds in silence. I found that not having them here allowed me to just simply be in my own space, doing my own thing, which was not much since all I wanted to do was rest and believe it or not, EAT! I was not just hungry, my appetite was on fire. I simply could not eat enough. Lucky for me, I stopped at the food store after the doctor to pick up, very quickly, some things to eat since I had not stocked the fridge due to our impending trip.  It would seem to me that every part of my being was directed toward the healing process. My body was quite simply looking for the fuel it needed to make it so. It was incredible to experience, but by Sunday the massive appetite had abated as I started to feel more like myself. 

Who knew strep could power up such an appetite? I "Googled" it and apparently I am not alone in my ravenous pursuit of food with Strep. I read accounts of many others who felt this nonstop,  overpowering urge to eat along with the nausea caused by the sinuses being affected. A most curious thing to experience! You feel sick to your stomach and hungry all at the same time. Instinctively I knew the food would actually reduce the nauseous feeling, in turn hastening along my recovery, which it did! I won't tell you all I ate, but it did involve some truffle chocolate brownies. Curse you Trader Joe's! Only kidding!!

At long last I am feeling better, although still experiencing intermittent headaches and bouts of nausea, something that can continue for awhile, even on the medicine. I missed the trip. I gave myself what it needed most, food and rest,  and in the end, while I am sorry to not have been with my family in NYC, I knew to be alone,  allowing my body to rest, feel and do whatever else it needed was truly the best place for me to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.