Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Gratitude for the Craft of Writing and Blogging

I have been a writer for years. It started long ago in my youth when my mother first introduced me to the world of books and reading. It was a pivotal learning process to discover that books can be friend, teacher, parent, guardian, guide, enemy, doctor, artist, monster, and on and on and on. The world of reading seemed endless to me and the immense array of subject matter infinite. Never a dull moment in the pages of a book. So it only made sense that this passion for books, would awaken a feverish desire for writing, which indeed it has over the years. I have written full blown works of fiction meant for magazine publication, children's tales, a teensy bit of poetry, and massive numbers of partially written books both fiction and non fiction that will one day surely be complete!

There seems to be a lot of smugness in the world of writing that likens blogs to empty, vacuous wastelands of personal drivel that matters little to people in the grander scheme of things. And yet, the memoir genre of books published continues to grow and thrive, indicating people do like to read about what other people are doing in their lives. I know I do. But as are most people, I am very particular and even a bit superior at times about what I read.

I have to admit, I don't follow other blogs. That is not to say I don't look at them now and again when searching some information on the internet. Mostly, I am drawn to blogs about a particular area of interest that has captured my attention in the moment.  I gloss thru a blog rapidly to determine if it holds something vital to my world. But once I get a gander at its contents I move on, barely leaving a trace of my ever having been there. Secretly looking, gaining perhaps some insight or awareness, and moving on. I rarely, if ever, add my name to an email list to receive regular updates on blogs. And I honestly, do not save their internet addresses in my Bookmarks section. I suspect I am not alone in this quirkiness of mine of being both a blogger and a non blog reader.  In fact, I am willing to bet that many of my 3,500 page viewers do just the same such thing as me. I think of myself as perhaps a kind of hit and run reader.

So why write my own blog ? What's in it for me? Well, for one thing,  it is an opportunity to share who I am in a profoundly honest way that may or may not resonate with a potential reader. It is also a creative outlet that channels my artistic inclinations in a much more productive manner then writing in a diary or journal. Not that I don't do those as well, but the process in that instance is much more free flowing with very little to no editing efforts in sight. Plus, quite frankly, those forms of dialoguing are not meant for public viewing, although the results of which can and do make it onto the blog now and again. Journal scribing is the rough draft of my life and blogging is the light bulb on top of the head moments. Both are authentic representations of who I am but neither of them shows the depth of my spirit or captures me completely, nor do they have to for that matter.

In actuality, I started my blog just about a one year ago last month as the literal means to keep honing my skills as a writer. I see a huge improvement in my writing style and written word development from earlier blog posts through more recent ones. My original goal was purely and simply to post a new blog weekly, which for the most part, I have done. (OK I did take some time off in the summer!) But I also did it as the creative force in me believes that being who we are is infinitely more interesting then pretending to be something we are not, as so many people do in their daily lives.  That is not to say that the world of fiction does not have its well earned place of respect in literature, but in "real life" it serves no purpose other then to confuse and confound the very essence of who we are meant to be from shining through.

A deep bow of gratitude to all the 3,500  page viewers who in one year have happened upon my blog for one reason or another. You have looked, laughed and hopefully gleaned some nugget of truth that has made you feel something, no matter what that feeling was, that is authentic.

I wanted to leave all my fellow writers this Thanksgiving week with a quote that made me sit up and take note found in Poets and Writers magazine. The writer of the article was Dan White and was titled "Why We Write" The quote was from  Tony Connor, a poet and professor who taught at Wesleyan University.  "Asked if he could predict which of his students would achieve literary success, Connor said the ones who succeeded would have the sheer bloody-mindedness to go on when nobody gives a damn."

I write for myself first and that is as authentic a place as I can endeavor to be!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.