Monday, December 19, 2011

Going Gray: My Way!

I had been reading an article recently that states out of the 1,000 or so hair dyes on the market today, only 51 of them are deemed low hazard. Many of the ingredients in hair dye have been linked to cancers, immunity disorders and more.

So why do it?

For me, it has been more a matter of color fun and hair thickening. I have always had fine, thin hair, although certainly not to the degree it is now as I near age 50. Color has always been a love of mine, probably the artist in me looking for a way of finding self expression! Never one to stick with one color for long, I crave change. In fact, I am always a bit mystified by those women who can keep their same hairstyle and color choice they have had for years on end, without change. How marvelous to not succumb to current trends. Bravo to you ladies for having that courage! I mean it.

We all know hair dye is not good for us, surely nothing new to you about that tidbit. In fact, I am quite sure I am not telling you anything you don't already know. I have known myself for some years and yet, made a calculated decision based on my research conducted after being diagnosed with cancer many years back. I simply decided that the risks were low and to keep it up,  just not as often.

Here is the kicker though, when you add in all the other chemicals, hormones, toxins and drugs we are exposed to daily in our food, beauty products, and surrounding environment, etc,  it all adds up.  It is all cumulative and our bodies can only take so much before things start to go a bit haywire.

This article was for me, the turning point. So, as of a few weeks a go I cut off my hair in order to not have a horizontal stripe of gray growing out on my head and have decided to let the silver shine on through! Will it be easy? Not sure. Will I like it? Who knows? And more importantly, will I be treated differently? Hmmmmm, that remains to be seen.

I have had a real mixed bag of reactions, from both men and women I have spoken to about my choice. Some men opened up and started comparing it to their own experience with hair loss and baldness. Some women looked at me with abject fear in their eyes as they projected my decision onto themselves and found the whole idea anxiety producing.

Does it bother me? Sure, but I am not going to let that stop me from following through on it. I want to see if I will miss the choices and fun I have had with coloring my hair. Not sure how this will all impact me, but the risks out weigh the benefits at this point in my life, so I am committed to making it a reality. 


I have always had great interest in social anthropology, and performance art is a wonderful way to share ones explorations in this particular arena. So I will combine the two and see where it leads me. I will be posting my project to a different site devoted to a myriad of art forms,  at a later date and look forward to you all joining me as I truly assess the experience from my perspective. Look for the link to be added at some point in the near future.

If anyone is interested the article I read was in: Taste For Life magazine, the December 2011 issue. The article was entitled "dye-ing to be noticed" and was compiled from several different sources, including EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database, www.ewg.org.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.